Thursday, December 31, 2009

A Few Thoughts on the Oughts

This past decade will hold a special place in my mind (film-wise, that is). It was during this time that I “came of age” in the world of cinema. I began scouring the pages of the Internet Movie Database, soaking up all the information I could. It really became a kind of addiction – one that continues to this day. (I’m not sure I want to know how many hours I spent combing through the filmographies of various filmmakers over the years.) I also began reading reviews and commentary on film. It interested me to hear from different perspectives and learn how others constructed their viewpoints. And while I valued the “critical” opinion on films, it was important for me to make up my own mind.

So, the films released this decade became of great interest to me. I started viewing them differently than I had previously; from a more critical point-of-view. I think 2002 was a turning point as I began going out of my way to see films that others had little interest in. Even if it meant going by myself, I felt compelled to view films like Adaptation and The Hours. This path led me down a fascinating road filled with films as wide-ranging as can be imagined.

While I spent time waiting for new releases, I also caught up with many films from decades past. With the advent of Netflix, there’s no limit to how many films are available and I take full advantage of it. As my knowledge of film progressed, the more I enjoyed the artform and I desired to learn even more. That desire led me to study film at the University of Oklahoma, eventually earning a Film and Video Studies degree.

So, yeah, I guess films have had a large impact on my life and will probably continue to do so. I’ll continue viewing and writing about them so long as my enthusiasm for the subject holds up.

No comments:

Post a Comment