Saturday, January 16, 2010

Countdown to the Globes

Tomorrow the Golden Globes, arguably Hollywood's second biggest awards show, will take place and, as usual, I'm playing my never-ending game of catch-up on the nominated films. Luckily some of last year's films are making their debut on DVD, so it shouldn't be too long before I hunt them down. Despite my lack of films seen, I'll still enjoy watching the ceremony. The Globes are typically a bit looser than other awards shows (I think because the guests are allowed to drink), which makes for some entertaining moments. I'm also looking forward to Ricky Gervais hosting since he usually shakes things up more than most hosts.

I'm not the greatest at predicting winners and this year should prove even more difficult. Many of the categories feature no clear front-runners so far as I can tell. Christolph Waltz seems like a lock for Best Supporting Actor and Mo'Nique has received many other accolades for Best Supporting Actress. Other than that, it's hard to say who will win. And, again, since I haven't seen many of the films yet, it's difficult to have much investment in who/what I'd like to see win.

As for the films I have seen, I'll be rooting for Inglourious Basterds to win in its respective categories, as well as Fantastic Mr. Fox for Best Animated Feature. Aside from that, I'll just be looking forward to the Oscar nominations, which should be announced in the near future.

No comments:

Post a Comment