Sunday, September 13, 2009

Catching Up with the AFI


Back in 1998, the American Film Institute released a list of what it considered the top 100 American films of all-time. When the list was released, it was of great interest to me as a growing fan of film. At the time, I think I was slightly disappointed that I had seen probably less than half of the movies on the list. But, at the same time, I was excited to begin seeking out all of these classic works. While I never had a goal in mind to watch every last film on the list, I wanted to at least be knowledgable about them all.

In the years since, I've slowly made my way through the AFI list and, by my last count, I had seen 93 of the 100. The experience of going through these films has been a very rewarding one. Not only have I watched some great films, but I've gained knowledge of film history and culture in general. Since cinema reflects the society that produces it, it's intriguing to witness the changes that occur over time.

While a wouldn't say that this list is a definative one (no list like this is), it's a good starting point for those wishing to gain some knowledge in the world of film.

You can view the list at http://www.afi.com/.

How many of these films have you seen? What do think of these types of lists?

No comments:

Post a Comment