Monday, April 26, 2010

Metropolis: Complete at Last

For years film historians hoped to find the missing footage to Fritz Lang's science-fiction epic Metropolis with no success... until recently, that is. An additional 25 minutes of lost footage was found in a museum in Buenos Aires, making the film the most complete since its release back in 1927. Now a new cut of the film has its North American premiere at Turner Classic Movies Classic Film Festival, and will expand to other theatres in the coming weeks. By November, the film will be released on DVD and Blu-Ray.

The prospect of seeing a complete cut of Metropolis gets me very excited. I've watched the film before, in which still photos are used in place of missing scenes, and even in its incomplete state, the film can still be labeled a masterpiece. I really envy anyone who has the opportunity to catch this restored film in a theater setting. If I thought a theater anywhere near me would be showing it, I'd be there in a heartbeat. Alas, living in the middle of nowhere prevents me from yet another cinematic event.

No comments:

Post a Comment