Saturday, March 27, 2010

Dreamworks Animation Stepping Up

For the first time in a while, it looks as if Dreamworks Animation has produced something that isn't middle-of-the-road with their latest film How to Train Your Dragon. At RottenTomatoes.com the film has received the best score of the year so far, sitting at a staggering 97% as of this writing. And it appears that it will easily win the weekend box office race - although that was to be expected. The quality of Dreamworks' films has been hit or miss with me, so this critical praise comes as a pleasant surprise, especially after watching the trailer earlier this year and thinking, "Meh." I'd like to see what all the fuss is about, although I still doubt I'll see it in theaters. I'd rather watch the film in glorious 2-D in the comfort of my home. There is one question that I have from this situation. With Pixar still maintaining the "gold standard" for animation, I wonder if How to Train Your Dragon will provide some decent competition?

No comments:

Post a Comment